Website Accessibility Policy
August 11, 2020
At edX, our mission is to increase access to high-quality education for everyone, everywhere – including learners with disabilities. We seek to understand and respect the unique needs and perspectives of the edX global community, and we value every learner. Accordingly, we are committed to ensuring thatwww.edx.org is accessible to individuals with disabilities and that our platform permits content providers to develop and post accessible content. To meet this goal, we are committed to the following:
- We aim to conform www.edx.org with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines ("WCAG") 2.1 AA, published by the World Wide Web Consortium, and provide course authoring tools that permit content providers to post course content that conforms with WCAG 2.1 AA. We verify conformance through a combination of manual code inspection, automated testing using industry-recognized tools, compatibility testing using the most widely used accessibility support tools and, from time to time, review by an independent website accessibility consultant.
- We prioritize accessibility bug fixes to ensure they are remedied with the same level of priority as any other equivalent loss of function for individuals without disabilities.
- We link to this policy from the www.edx.org and distribute it to content providers and relevant edX employees and contractors.
- We require that all course videos include timed captions and that all content providers comply with their independent obligations under applicable accessibility laws, in an effort to help ensure that course content posted on www.edx.org will meet a wide variety of requirements of learners with disabilities. To assist content providers in their efforts, we publish and distribute Accessibility Best Practices Guidance for Content Providers.
- Our team includes a website accessibility specialist who is knowledgeable on website accessibility and digital accessibility standards and responsible for coordinating edX's responsibilities with respect to accessibility.
- We provide annual training to edX employees and relevant contractors on ensuring www.edx.org conforms with WCAG 2.1 AA.
- We welcome accessibility-related feedback, including requests for accommodation, through the firstname.lastname@example.org inbox, which is managed by a knowledgeable edX support team.
As with any rapidly advancing technology platform, enhancement of accessibility at edX is an ongoing process. Please direct any questions or suggestions on how to improve the accessibility of www.edx.org to email@example.com. We welcome your feedback.