What you will learn
- What is the experience of people with intellectual disability around the world, what barriers do they face, and how do they overcome these?
- What are their healthcare needs and how can good health be promoted?
- What health conditions do they commonly experience and how can these be assessed and managed?
- What influence do other factors such as ageing and epilepsy have on their health?
- What mental health issues do they have and how can these be recognised and managed?
- What are some of the ethical and legal issues that are of particular relevance to them?
This XSeries Program has been designed to influence, empower and educate a wider population to improve the health and healthcare of people with intellectual disability.
Worldwide, 60+ million people with intellectual disability experience poor health, die prematurely and receive inadequate healthcare. You will gain an understanding of the barriers and enablers for people with intellectual disability, their families, and their healthcare providers.
In our courses, you will learn about best practice in the field of intellectual disability healthcare and gain knowledge to improve health outcomes for this disadvantaged group.
Courses in this program
UQx's Intellectual Disability Healthcare XSeries Program
- The courses in this XSeries can be taken individually and in any order, but it is best to take the ABLE101x Through my Eyes course first.
Meet your instructors from The University of Queensland (UQx)
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning