What you will learn
- Understand environmental challenges that modern day urban environments are faced with.
- Explain how nature has a positive effect on the health & wellbeing of humans.
- Use forecasting, back casting and scenario development.
- Identify the limitations of action taking and the feasibility of tackling your problem.
- Become an agent of sustainable change by creating your own project.
Do you want have a tangible impact on global challenges, like climate change and pollution? Let this course empower you. Join other gamechangers and learn to initiate projects to make your own community more sustainable.
This programme consists of two online courses. Through informative knowledge clips, real-world inspirational cases of sustainability leaders, reflection, conversations and practical assignments you will:
- Understand the impact of sustainability and environmental protection & restauration on the resilience and public health of your urban community
- See how communication can bring different worldviews together to solve problems related to sustainability
- Explore how natural resources can be leveraged for nature-positive solutions to stave off biodiversity loss and restore the ecosystems of our neighbourhoods
- Develop essential skills and gain insight in the framework of a successful community project
Quote: In our triumph to dominate the world, we forgot just how much we depend on it.
MOOC Environmental Gamechanger – Lead the Way to Sustainable Development This social science course introduces a set of skills, critical to analysing and solving sustainability problems. Explore how systems thinking can serve as a way of tackling this complexity. Learn to engage key stakeholders to tackle a sustainability issue of your choice and in your surroundings.
MOOC Urban rewilding: restore your local ecosystem This environmental sciences course explores the different environmental issues that modern day urban spaces are faced with. It will help you to identify challenges for rewilding initiatives in your community. Gain the skills to restore natural processes by setting up a rewilding project in your city. With thriving natural processes in our green spaces, such as gardens, parks and ponds, with indigenous plants and animals, we will see both ecosystems and our living environment restored.
Are you that municipal officer, community activist or concerned citizen eager to take on environmental stewardship? Then this is the programme for you! Join the growing force of urban gamechangers and pick up sustainability challenges near you.
Courses in this program
WageningenX's Urban Gamechanger for Sustainability Professional Certificate
- 3–5 hours per week, for 3 weeks
Would you like to see your neighbourhood become more liveable and sustainable? To alleviate city-specific challenges – from urban heat islands to mental health issues – we need to first change our minds. From wanting to control nature to leveraging its power, we need to allow nature to do what it does best: grow. Join Wageningen University & Research and rewild your city. With gardens, parks and ponds, with indigenous plants and animals, we will see both ecosystems and our living environment restored. Enroll now.
- 2–4 hours per week, for 7 weeks
Do you wish you could have an actual, tangible impact on global challenges, like climate change and pollution? Do you know of concrete issues in your community that need to change for the better, but no-one is taking on the challenge? Then let this online course empower you to ‘be the change you want to see in the world’. Join gamechangers from all over and start creating that sustainable environment now, right where you are.
- This certificate complements knowledge and skills required for:
- Municipal officer.
- Civil servant.
- Community worker.
Meet your instructors from Wageningen University & Research (WageningenX)
Experts from WageningenX committed to teaching online learning