What you will learn
- Understand key concepts of animal behaviour: how animals learn, communicate, reproduce, and interact socially, shaped by natural selection.
- Connect key behavioural concepts to relevant conservation challenges.
- Recognize which behavioural traits can serve as threat and management indicators and use relevant resources to find species-specific information on conservation biology.
- Identify successful examples of behaviour-based conservation management and design a basic species action plan, incorporating a behaviour-based conservation action.
Are you interested in learning the fundamentals of animal behaviour science, and how to apply conservation interventions from a behaviour-based perspective?
This programme consists of online courses, informative knowledge clips, case studies, interviews, and practical assignments through which you’ll learn:
- To understand how and why animals behave the way they do and how we test hypotheses about behaviour scientifically.
- Become familiar with how animal behaviour mitigates conservation challenges such as environmental change, human-wildlife conflict and reintroductions into the wild.
- Learn to leverage animal behaviour for designing innovative conservation interventions.
MOOC Introduction to Animal Behaviour
This biology and life sciences course introduces the complexities of wild animal behaviour and how behaviour is studied. Explore the amazing range and complexity of wild animal behaviour. Discover how animals learn, communicate, find food, avoid predators and interact socially.
This animal behaviour course is aimed at anyone looking to broaden their understanding of animal behaviour beyond nature documentaries or a typical high school education.
MOOC Animal Behaviour in Conservation
This course helps you apply the ‘conservation behaviour’ perspective to major conservation challenges such as environmental change, human-wildlife conflict, and wildlife reintroductions.
Gain the skills needed to effectively monitor these threats, increase your understanding of the diverse ways animals respond to environmental change and leverage animal behaviour to design innovative interventions for conservation biology.
So, whether you are a wildlife conservation biologist, a student in biology, environmental or animal sciences, or simply someone with a general interest in animal behaviour or conservation science, join us!
A program subscription gives you full verified access to all courses and materials within the program you’ve enrolled in, for as long as your subscription is active. Monthly subscription pricing can help you manage your enrollment costs — instead of paying more up front, you pay a smaller amount per month for only as long as you need access. You can cancel your subscription at any time for no additional fee.
Courses in this program
WageningenX's Animal Behaviour in Science and Conservation Professional Certificate
- 4–6 hours per week, for 6 weeks
Explore the amazing range and complexity of wild animal behaviour. Discover how animals learn, communicate, find food, avoid predators, and interact socially.
- 4–6 hours per week, for 5 weeks
How can we coexist with wildlife in our rapidly changing human-dominated world? The instructors behind Wageningen University & Research’s high ranking ‘Introduction to Animal Behaviour’ have created a sequel. Equip yourself with the skills to assess human-caused impact on diverse species. Learn to apply behavioural principles to design more effective conservation actions. Enrol now.
- Biologists and behaviourists.
- Biology or Conservation Teachers.
- Tour Guides in Zoos and Nature Reserves.
- Wildlife Managers.
Meet your instructors from Wageningen University & Research (WageningenX)
Experts from WageningenX committed to teaching online learning
Grow your career. Start your program subscription today.
- Immediate access to all 2 courses in this program
- Course videos, lectures, and readings
- Practice problems and assessments
- Graded assignments and exams
- edX learner support
- Shareable verified certificates after successfully completing a course or program