Intercultural Education through the metaverse
About this courseSkip About this course
Step into a world of diversity and multiculturalism with this cutting-edge academic course! It's time to go beyond the textbooks and experience cultural diversity firsthand. Through simulations and role-plays, you'll develop empathy, compassion, and a deeper understanding of different cultures.
This course uses cutting-edge technology and collaborative learning to immerse you in a virtual world built specifically for this course. You'll work in a small multicultural group of six students, allowing for personalized learning, feedback, and encouragement.
Interactive animated movies bring theoretical issues to life in a friendly and experiential way. You'll view the movies and then discuss the content within your small group, fostering critical thinking, reflection, and open dialogue.
But the real magic lies in the simulations and role-plays. You'll step into the shoes of someone from a different cultural background and truly understand their perspective. Through this process, you'll develop valuable skills such as communication, collaboration, and cultural awareness – skills that are essential for success in today's interconnected world.
This course takes the pedagogy component seriously, ensuring that you not only learn about advanced teaching methods but experience them firsthand. You'll learn how to facilitate group discussions, create engaging and interactive learning experiences, and incorporate technology into your teaching.
In summary, this course is about experiencing cultural diversity and empathy firsthand, developing valuable skills for success in a globalized world, and gaining insights into advanced pedagogy. Join us on this incredible journey and become a part of a new generation of culturally aware and empathetic individuals!
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Our identities and society
- Cultural diversity; a fact or a value
- Developing empathy.
- Intercultural education in the classroom
- Language and intercultural education
- Theories and changes in cultural diversity
The course "Intercultural Education" provides a unique and experiential approach to understanding complex issues such as identity, culture, prejudice, stereotypes, and connections between different groups in a global world. Through virtual worlds, interactive videos, and forums with students from diverse cultures and geographic areas, students gain a deeper understanding of intercultural education and develop multicultural consciousness as educators and members of society.
Each study unit will involve reading academic literature and group discussions to broaden perspectives on multiculturalism and cultural diversity in education.
- The course will explore personal and group identity, and the connection between our identities and society.
- Students will examine whether multiculturalism is an existing fact or a value in society, and learn about its benefits.
- The course will delve into the dilemmas of multiculturalism in the global world, and expose students to different perspectives on these issues.
- Empathy and how to foster it between different cultural groups will be studied.
- Multiculturalism in classrooms will be considered, including the tendency to divide into categories and ways to address this.
- Perspectives on language, the mother tongue, and the connection between language and culture will be discussed.
- The course will also examine multiculturalism in the world today.
The course will culminate in an escape room activity in a virtual world that reviews the material covered throughout the course.
Learner testimonialsSkip Learner testimonials
- The course made me reflect on my own prejudices and stigmas and challenged me to be more open-minded. By learning about cultural diversity, I discovered the importance of accepting and respecting others who may be different from me.
- This was the most interesting enjoyable and creative course I have ever taken
Frequently Asked QuestionsSkip Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to take the course?
A computer with a graphics program suitable for working in a virtual world and a microphone.
Is there technological support?
Yes, through forms and zoom sessions.
Is it hard to learn how to navigate in the virtual world?
We supply a training unit and online help. You need to allow a few hours to practice and then you will be literally flying everywhere.
What is annoto?
This is a program used to allow you to communicate with other students around a video