Lo que aprenderás
- Learn why we should study Star Trek as a lens for media scholars to analyze the history of television, the impact of science fiction on technology, and the phenomenon of fandom
- Explore how Star Trek depicted a future where humans were explorers of the universe - serving as an inspiration to individuals and government agencies deeply involved in the race to get human beings into space for the first time
- Understand how Star Trek's diverse crew prompted audiences to reconsider their own perceptions of different races and genders
- Reflect on how Star Trek depicted various characters working to understand themselves and their place in the universe
- Recognize how Star Trek inspires reflection on our own humanity and our place in the universe
Why has Star Trek, which began as a failed network series, become so influential? Instead of fading away, the Star Trek universe now encompasses feature films, additional television series, and a universe of fan conventions and memorabilia.
What about the shows and movies resonate with so many people? The powerful vision of futuristic space exploration drew on real history and contemporary issues to enhance its storytelling. Star Trek inspired audiences to ask fundamental questions about who they are and how they relate to the world around them.
When you enroll in this course, you will examine how Star Trek’s live action television shows and motion pictures affected audiences around the world. With your hosts, Margaret Weitekamp and Scott Mantz, you will discover the connections between Star Trek and history, culture, technology and society. You will hear from experts, watch clips from the shows and films, debate with fellow fans. and explore your own perspectives on and understanding of Star Trek's lasting impact.
Through critical analysis and object exploration, you will examine how Star Trek tackled controversial topics, such as race, gender, sexuality, and ethics. Then, the mission is yours. Join the community to engage in civil discourse. Use evidence to understand how Star Trek shaped and still influences our technology and society.
* This course is offered under license by CBS Consumer Products.
Cursos en este programa
Programa XSeries en Star Trek: Inspiring Culture and Technology de SmithsonianX
- 1–3 horas por semana durante 6 semanas
Explorehow Star Trek' sdiverse crew prompted audiences to reconsider their own perceptions of different races and genders as well as their own place in the universe.