Lo que aprenderás
- Use macroeconomic terminology correctly.
- Appraise the roles and functions of macroeconomic institutions.
- Use diagrams, simple equations and words to explain key causal relationships in macroeconomics.
- Analyse contemporary macroeconomic policy issues and their impacts on business and on society.
- Understand macroeconomic data and know how to use them for analysis.
If you have ever wondered what all those economic news and statistics mean to you, how policy changes by the government and central bank may affect your living standard, job or investment, and why things happened in countries far away can still find their way to impact on you here, this is the program for you!
This is an introductory program in Macroeconomics. It focuses on explaining many macroeconomic phenomena that we either observed first hand or heard indirectly from the media. The program considers long-term economic growth in developed and developing economies. You’ll also learn why a national (or global) economy experiences short-term cycles in activity (e.g., recessions and recoveries) around its long-term growth trend.
The behaviour of an economy as a whole is often broadly predictable, but sometimes it can suddenly change due to a range of unpredictable factors such as regional conflicts, financial crises and health emergencies. This program explains what central banks and governments can do to try to smooth these fluctuations and to lift the living standard. Theories or ‘models’ widely used by governments, central banks and the private sector to conduct macroeconomic analyses are explained intuitively as well as discussed critically. The behaviour of the financial system, including the banking system and asset markets, is also considered, especially in the light of financial crises.
The three courses are based but extended on an introductory macroeconomics course taught on campus at The University of Queensland. A focus is placed on core economic principles that are immediately applicable rather than formal mathematical theorisation. A distinctive feature of these courses is their strong emphasis on the international aspect of macroeconomics. Recent global economic and non-economic events have highlighted the importance of understanding the interconnection between the domestic and the international economy.
This program is for everyone, whether you are studying at university, a career professional interested in expanding your economic knowledge, or simply curious about global economic behaviour and what influences it.
Cursos en este programa
Certificación Profesional en Macroeconomics de UQx
- 1–2 horas por semana durante 6 semanas
The macroeconomy affects business conditions and broader social outcomes. Learn about key performance indicators of macroeconomics such as GDP, unemployment and inflation.
- 1–2 horas por semana durante 6 semanas
Explore the fundamentals of contemporary international macroeconomy including trade, exchange rate systems, international financial policy and open macroeconomy.
- This is a program of three courses. We suggest to take the three courses in order because later courses are built on the knowledge of earlier courses.
- Understanding macroeconomics is relevant for a large range of industries and occupations as multidisciplinary roles become more common.
- Careers focused on economics include analysts, advisors, and economists in the public and private sectors, especially those in business, finance, international development, health, marketing, journalism, management and research.
- Careers that require a high-level understanding of the domestic and international macro-economies in which their industries and sectors operate, such as those with managerial and strategic planning responsibilities.
Conoce a tu instructor de The University of Queensland (UQx)
Expertos de UQx comprometidos con el aprendizaje en línea
- You can purchase every course in the program at a 10% discount using the “Pursue the Program” button on this page. You can still take each course in the session that works best for you. After you purchase the program, you’ll have 24 months to select a session for each course. You can also complete and purchase the courses one by one, in any order you wish. After you’ve earned a verified certificate from each course in the program, you’ll automatically receive the program credential. You can start each course in the Audit track, then upgrade before the course’s payment deadline for a verified certificate. You don’t need to complete all of the courses at once in order to earn the program credential. Courses will be re-offered on an ongoing basis, and all certificates count towards the program credential. There is no overall deadline to complete the program, but individual courses do have deadlines that you can see when enrolled. The program page lists all future course sessions that we have scheduled at this time.
- Contact edX.
- There are no prerequisites, though an understanding of basic maths is useful but not necessary.
- In general, all 3 courses run throughout the year.
- No, course progress does not carry over across course runs.
- All courses within the program are self-paced. You may enroll as an audit learner before upgrading to verified.