Lo que aprenderás
- Understand and evaluate strategic, technological, and operational aspects of running a biobased business
- Understand the basics of biobased materials and their conversion to useful products and services
- Identify factors that affect biobased investments and innovations
- Create business strategies in a biobased economy
- Design and evaluate biobased supply chains using quantitative methods
The world is moving from a linear ‘cradle-to-grave’ economy to a more sustainable circular ‘cradle-to-cradle’ economy. In this new world, it’s critical to determine if alternative (biobased) resources have the potential to become economically viable sustainable sources for the production of high value food and materials, feed and energy. This requires the development of feasible biobased business strategies and the skills to apply these strategies to operations and logistics. Companies that want to succeed in this industry must be prepared for the challenges and opportunities ahead.
This MicroMasters programme consists of three courses and a capstone. The courses will teach you about the basics of biobased materials/natural resources and their conversion to useful products and services. This will help you to understand and evaluate strategic, technological, and operational aspects of running a biobased business and therefore understand the dynamics in biobased business investments and the factors that influence them. You will learn to design and evaluate biobased supply (and value) chains using quantitative methods.
In the final course you will perform a capstone project in which you apply the knowledge from all courses to your own business case, which gives you the opportunity to receive feedback from experts in the field of biobased business and operations.
Completion of this MicroMasters programme in Business and Operations for a Circular Bio-Economy will provide you with knowledge and tools to analyze the business and operations sides of the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources. Upon earning the programme certificate, you will be able to contribute substantially to managerial decision-making, as well as deal with issues regarding supply chain management and planning.
Subscribe now to this MicroMasters programme and learn how to implement natural resource/biobased resource business models and seize this economic opportunity that lies ahead!
Cursos en este programa
Programa MicroMasters® en Business and Operations for a Circular Bio-Economy de WageningenX
- 20–28 horas por semana durante 5 semanas
Explore how to create a sustainable future by moving away from dependence on fossil resources to biomass resources for the production of food, chemicals and energy-carriers. Discover how to use microorganisms and catalysts to create biobased products.
- 12–16 horas por semana durante 5 semanas
Lead your company to make the switch to biobased resources and build a profitable sustainable business. Learn how to deal with the many strategic and operational challenges facing a companyin the biobased and circular economy.
- 15–20 horas por semana durante 8 semanas
This capstone project is the final part of the MicroMasters® Program Business and Operations for a Circular Bio-Economy. Interdisciplinarity is central in this part, linking the various sections in this MicroMasters Program.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all three MicroMasters program courses, as well as the capstone.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
If you successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate and decide to apply to the Master of Science programme Biobased Sciences at Wageningen University & Research (120 ECTS, 2 year full time on campus Program), you will need to go through the regular admission procedures for MSc students and meet the entry requirements.
If you are admitted you can be exempted from courses in the MSc programme, by submitting a formal waiver request. Campus courses that can be waived (up to 18 credits) are courses that are equivalent to the online courses in the MicroMasters programme.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) also offers a pathway to credit toward RIT's Master of Science in Professional Studies. If accepted into the program at RIT, students will be eligible for up to 9 credits which will serve toward one concentration required for this interdisciplinary degree. The MS in Professional Studies is a customized, flexible program that meets industry demand by enabling students to strategically combine multiple, complementary fields of study to reflect their unique career and educational goals.
- This programme is intended for those working in or, aiming to work in, industries that are transitioning to the biobased economy, or non-profit and governmental institutions and for those currently working in biobased industries
- Careers in industries such as: (bio)chemicals, agri-food and feed, beer and water, housing and infra, energy, logistics, next to related governmental and non-governmental sectors
- Exciting career opportunities for those traditionally and newly trained: entrepreneurs, top managers, supply chain managers, product managers, consultants and business developers in a biobased business, biobased researchers, bioprocess specialists
- The US biobased products industry contributes $369 billion and 4 million jobs to American economy
- EU employment in the Biobased sector accounts for 13.8 million jobs
Conoce a tus instructores de Wageningen University & Research (WageningenX)
Expertos de WageningenX comprometidos con el aprendizaje en línea
With the market shifting towards a stronger biobased & sustainable economy, Croda will increasingly focus on novel developments of biobased ingredients. This MicroMasters program will provide a good basis to develop the required knowledge and skills to support these sustainable innovations.
- No, it does not. To be admitted to the on campus programme, you have to meet the general admission criteria and apply to the on campus program through the website, www.wur.eu/admission.
- To optimally learn in/from and complete this MicroMasters program we expect you to have a bachelor degree in social sciences (preferably business-, or economics). However, there is no formal entry level requirement for the MOOCs.
- You can find more information about the on-campus program on www.wur.eu/mbs.
- The Capstone project is a major project where you link the technological part with the business and economy sections and the circular economy section to develop a categorically more sustainable biobased practice. Interdisciplinarity is central in the capstone. You write a report on designing a sustainable Biobased process.
- Formal acceptance for the related Wageningen University on campus Master-program Biobased Sciences, requires one to at least present a BSc-degree that substantially fits one of the three specializations in the program, plus a classifying GPA and a classifying level in English. Once accepted to the program one may apply for a waiver for the MOOC-credits. For the general admission requirements of Wageningen University & Research programmes, please visit our website, www.wur.eu/admission.
- No, that is not possible. Only by completing the entire MicroMasters program can you transfer the credits to the on campus program.
- Earn a verified certificate in: Circular Economy: An Interdisciplinary Approach; Business Strategy and Operations in a Biobased Economy; From fossil resources tot biomass: a chemistry perspective; and Capstone Business and Operations for a Circular Economy.
- Unfortunately, learners residing in one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.