Hay una sesión disponible:
Hay una sesión disponible:
Biochemistry: Biomolecules, Methods, and Mechanisms
Sobre este cursoOmitir Sobre este curso
Do you want to prepare for medical school, study a STEM field, become a research scientist, or transition to a career in the booming biotechnology industry? Or maybe you just want to understand the chemical reactions that govern life itself. Join Professor Yaffe, an MIT professor and practicing surgeon, as he guides you through the science that inspires countless doctors, researchers, and students alike.
We developed 7.05x Biochemistry with an emphasis on:
- Developing your scientific thinking skills including articulating hypotheses, performing thought experiments, interpreting data, and designing experiments.
- Using data based on real scientific experiments and highlighting the scientific process.
- Asserting that biology is an active field that changes daily through examples of MIT (and other current) research, not static information in a textbook.
- Visualizing real molecular structures with PyMOL to better understand function and mechanism.
- Appreciating the quantitative aspects of biochemistry and practicing this quantitation with MATLAB.
- Translating topics in biochemistry to diseases and medicine.
- Conveying the authentic MIT firehose experience.
- Implementing the science of learning in the course design.
We offer a thorough and robust means of certifying edX learners in their mastery of the MITx biochemistry content, through the MITx 7.05x Biochemistry Competency Exam. This challenging option is available only to those who register for the verified-certificate track, and successful completion of this exam is the majority of the assessment grade that counts toward a certificate. The Competency Exam will be open during the final week of the course.
De un vistazo
- Institución: MITx
- Tema: Biología y ciencias humanas
- Nivel: Intermediate
Undergraduate introductory biology (biochemistry and molecular biology);
Undergraduate introductory chemistry;
Undergraduate organic chemistry I (chemical structures and biological mechanisms)
- Idioma: English
- Transcripción de video: English
Lo que aprenderásOmitir Lo que aprenderás
- How to apply the scientific method to pursue research questions.
- How to analyze protein purification schemes.
- How scientists determine the structure of a protein.
- How structure, allostery, and the Bohr effect influence hemoglobin function.
- How to interpret graphs, plot behaviors, and calculate constants related to enzyme function.
- How pumps, transporters, and channels differ to regulate molecule transfer across membranes.
- How G proteins play a key role in signaling.
Plan de estudiosOmitir Plan de estudios
The course includes the following learning sequences:
- Introduction to Biochemistry; pH and Buffers
- Amino Acids and Proteins
- Protein Purification
- Protein Structure
- Protein Folding
- Hemoglobin and Allostery
- Hemoglobin and the Bohr Effect
- Enzyme Chemistry
- Enzyme as Catalysts
- Enzyme Kinetics
- Membranes, Channels, Transporters, and Pumps
- Blood Clotting
- Signal Transduction
Testimonios de los estudiantesOmitir Testimonios de los estudiantes
“ In short, if you enjoy the opportunity to 'virtually' study at a very high level with some of the finest practitioners in their field, this is among the very best courses available to engage that passion. ” – Class Central learner review
“ For 1.5 hours three times a week, hundreds of students fill 10-250 (one of the giant lecture halls) to watch Yaffe cover crazy amounts of information in very little time. By the end of every lecture, you probably have four pages of very colorful notes and 9 boards filled with pretty picture of molecules and processes. ”– MIT student blogger