Sustainable Construction Management
Learn Sustainable Construction Management practices, and how to implement a sustainable green project. Sustainability has become essential for private and public owners who want to incorporate the economic, social, and environmental aspects of their project to improve the triple bottom line.
There is one session available:
Sustainable Construction Management
About this courseSkip About this course
Can building structures be sustainable?
This course aims to answer that question. It covers sustainable construction management project elements from conception to completion. We discuss the important contributions facility managers and property managers make to sustainable construction projects by acting as the owner’s representatives. And we show how the construction contract and project delivery method greatly influences how the project will be performed sustainably.
Sustainable construction methods and processes are highlighted, along with newer construction document production systems such as building information modeling (BIM), laser scanning, and drones. This course also gives an example of a scheduling method known as the critical path method (CPM).
We discuss methods, materials, and the equipment used to mitigate damage to buildings due to environmental conditions, and the different types of building systems. Current technologies and green innovations also reviewed include exterior wall systems, green roofs, elevators, HVAC systems, and new methods of sustainable building choices for green construction best practices.
Other topics include sustainable maintenance operations, energy management, green building certifications, renewable energy, sustainability construction trends and the use of best practices in sustainable planning, design, and construction, including the steps needed to develop a high-performance project.
Core concepts include:
- Frameworks for implementing a sustainable green project or a high-performance project.
- Role of the facility manager.
- Sustainable building design, construction, remodeling, and building improvements.
- Disaster management procedures.
- Sustainable Infrastructure.
- Decision making techniques in sustainable project development
- How to reduce emissions during construction
- How to control energy consumption and maximize sustainable efficiency
- Climate control.
- Greenhouse gas emissions.
- Stormwater management controls.
- Sediment and erosion controls.
- Renewable energy use
- Involvement of stakeholders in the planning, design, and construction process.
- Green building certifications, such as LEED and Green Globes.
- Latest trends and future in sustainable construction management.
- The best sustainable practices in design and construction.
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- How the construction industry is adapting to sustainability
- Industry leaders in sustainability
- Life cycle cost analysis of sustainable projects
- How the latest construction process can be sustainable
- How to manage the environmental impact of a project
- Sustainable Facility Management
- Is sustainable development cost effective?
- Understanding natural resources in sustainable development projects
- Project management controls in sustainable construction management projects
- How to minimize construction waste
● Week 1: Sustainable design management.
● Week 2: Sustainable construction management.
● Week 3: Sustainable maintenance operations, security systems, environmental management, and building systems.
● Week 4: Energy management and renewable energy, green building construction, and strategic sustainable planning.