About this courseSkip About this course
In this course you will learn the tools, techniques and concepts needed to build a basic iOS app, from scratch. You will be introduced to the Swift programming language and learn how to utilise the Apple developer tools to build an app.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand and use the Swift programming language;
- Use and explain the Apple developer tools: including Xcode, Interface Builder, Documentation Browser;
- Confidently converse with iOS developers, understanding the basics of coding and App development;
- Design, develop and build your own simple iOS Apps.
Lesson 1: Starting App Development
- Explain where programming is used and especially where Swift is used;
- Explain the terminal, playgrounds;
- Use Xcode to build an App for iOS; and
- Use and explain variables and data types.
Lesson 2: Control Flow and Advanced Variables and Data Types
- Make decisions within your programs using if-then-else statements;
- Use the different logical operators NOT, AND and OR to verify the truth of something;
- Use the switch statement to control what is executed next; and
- Use arrays and dictionaries to store data.
Lesson 3: Xcode and Interface Builder
- Navigate through Xcode projects;
- Use the following areas of Xcode: project navigator, the debug area, the assistant and version editors; and
- Use interface builder to build interfaces and be able to preview interfaces outside of a running App.
Lesson 4: Functions, Classes and Structures
- Understand the benefits of abstraction when writing code;
- Create functions, classes and structures to improve program quality;
- Use classes and structures to create custom datatypes;
- Understand relationships and inheritance between classes.
Lesson 5: Introduction to User Interface Development
- Build Apps using common user interface views and controls;
- Use Interface Builder to configure common user interface views and controls;
- Connect Swift code to common user interface controls;
- Use AutoLayout to ensure Apps adapt to different devices.
Lesson 6: View Controllers and Navigation
- Develop Apps with multiple scenes;
- Use tab bar controllers to move between scenes within Apps;
- Create and utilise event handlers on view controllers;
- Design an appropriate navigation hierarchy for your app.
Lesson 7: Introduction to TableViews
- Use the Model View Controller design pattern for App development;
- Use a ScrollView to control content display;
- Use tables to display data within your App;
- Respond to user input within a table.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$149 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally
Frequently asked questions
Do I need a Mac to take this course?
Yes, you will need access to a Mac computer or laptop which runs macOS 10.15 or higher , and is capable of running Xcode12.
Do I need to know any programming languages before I start?
No, this course is designed for beginners and we will step you through all the programming required.
What version of Swift will I be learning?
Swift version 5.
Will I be able to create my own apps after completing the course?
Yes. The course will teach how to build a basic iOS app from scratch and program using Swift.
Can I sell my app on the App Store after I finish this course?
Of course you can - however please be aware that this is outside the scope of this program. While we can't guarantee that your app will be made available on the App Store; we will show you what steps are required to get it published.
I have a great idea for an app! Will you help me make a fortune by selling it on the App Store?
While we can't guarantee that you will make a fortune via the App Store - we will let you know what's involved. We'll also provide you with insights from other iOS app developers who have experience with the App Store and may be able to provide you with some useful hints and tips.
Will I be able to create my own Android app after completing the course?
No. This course focuses on the development of iOS apps only.