What you will learn
- Describe relational database (RDBMS) and NoSQL database concepts.
- Demonstrate working knowledge with RDBMSes like MySQL, PostgreSQL, and IBM Db2.
- Develop various types of SQL queries; including SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE & DELETE statements, utilize string patterns and ranges, and sort and group data in result sets.
- Create and manage tables, load and export data, and perform database backups and restores.
- Perform CRUD operations and demonstrate hands-on experience with NoSQL databases like MongoDB, Cassandra, and Cloudant.
The ability to work with data and access databases is one of the most sought-after skills in our data driven economy. SQL and NoSQL skills are essential for anyone working with data and are listed as one of the top skills in job postings for professionals like Data Engineers, Database Administrators, Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Business Analysts, BI Specialists, Software / Application Developers, Data Architects, and Big Data Engineers.
This Professional Certificate is designed to provide you with the foundational knowledge, skills, and hands-on experience required to work with relational database management systems (RDBMSes), SQL (Structured Query Language), and NoSQL databases.
Organizations use relational databases (RDBMS) to manage and store data for its consistency and reliability, and SQL (Structured Query Language) to query and perform analysis for making critical and informed business decisions. Many organizations also deploy NoSQL databases for non-traditional use cases when scalability and high availability are needed.
Upon completing this program, you’ll have developed the skills and experience to work with relational databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, and IBM Db2; query databases using SQL, as well as perform Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) operations using NoSQL technologies and databases like MongoDB, Cassandra, and Cloudant.
Within each course, you’ll practice your skills with numerous hands-on labs and complete projects to add to your portfolio for demonstrating your proficiency using RDBMSes, SQL, and NoSQL.
To get started, all you need is basic computer literacy and the desire to learn and practice new skills.
Courses in this program
IBM's SQL, NoSQL, and Relational Database Fundamentals Professional Certificate
- 2–3 hours per week, for 4 weeks
This course teaches you the fundamental concepts of relational databases and Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and IBM Db2.
- 2–4 hours per week, for 5 weeks
Learn how to use and apply the powerful language of SQL to better communicate and extract data from databases - a must for anyone working in Data Engineering, Data Analytics or Data Science.
- 2–3 hours per week, for 5 weeks
This course introduces you to the fundamentals of NoSQL, including the four key non-relational database categories. By the end of the course you will have hands-on skills for working with MongoDB, Cassandra and IBM Cloudant NoSQL databases.
- Data-related occupations are anticipated to grow by 13 percent through 2028 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- SQL ranked as the second most in-demand tech skill from a Top 25 Tech Skills list by Burning Glass.
- The global NoSQL market is estimated to reach $22.8 billion by 2026, growing at 31.4% according to Allied Market Research.
Meet your instructors from IBM
Experts from IBM committed to teaching online learning