What you will learn
- An understanding of the prominent perspectives, trends, and challenges of leadership styles in development.
- The ability to apply critical reasoning to the analysis of development-related issues.
- Critical knowledge of the science, practice and policy of sustainable pathways to development.
- Skills in adaptive development practice, in finding local solutions to complex problems, and for scaling those solutions to improve policy.
Are you working in the development sector and looking to take the next step in your career? International and community development aims to reduce poverty and improve the living standards, health and quality of life for those who need it most. As the challenges we face become more complex we need qualified and skilled professionals to lead across sectors and organizations.
Balancing theoretical knowledge with practical abilities, the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program provides the strong technical and management skills you need to tackle the most demanding and complex challenges in global development. This program certificate will demonstrate that you have the advanced competencies that international development agencies are increasingly demanding from their leaders and managers.
After gaining a verified certificate for each of the four prerequisite courses you will be awarded the MicroMasters program certificate in Leadership in Global Development.
Build on this program certificate and apply to one of UQ’s on-campus Postgraduate Programs in Global Development. More information about this program, including the other entry requirements, is available via UQ.
Courses in this program
UQx's Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters® Program
- 8–10 hours per week, for 11 weeks
Learn the critical foundations of sustainable development and how to achieve the UN's Sustainable Development Goals that are deeply interconnected in the field.
- 10–12 hours per week, for 10 weeks
Gain the skills to be an adaptive leader in development & learn how to uncover local solutions to complex problems in developing and developed countries.
What is a MicroMasters Program?
MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. MicroMasters program certificates showcase deep learning and in-demand skills to employers and can help you get started on a path toward completing an advanced degree.
How to Earn a MicroMasters Program Certificate
To earn the program certificate, learners must complete and successfully earn a verified certificate in all four Leadership in Global Development courses.
From Program Certificate to a Master’s Degree
MicroMasters programs are designed to offer learners a pathway to an advanced degree and can count as credit toward completing a Master’s degree program. Learners who successfully earn this MicroMasters program certificate may apply for admission to a Master’s program, and if accepted, the MicroMasters program certificate will count towards the degree.
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible for credit into two postgraduate degrees at UQ:
- Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation (offered on-campus); or
- Master of Business (MBus) (offered on-campus)
Learners who successfully earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible for credit into the Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation program. Certificate holders who meet program entry requirements will receive the equivalent of one semester of credit (8 units) towards either program, reducing study time by 6 months. Students will need to complete the remaining 12 – 18 months of full-time study on-campus.
Otherwise, complete the Master of Business program and reduce your study time by 6 months (12-18 months of full-time study remaining for the Master of Business degree completion). Continue your studies in Leadership, or choose one of our other specialisations: Advertising, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, International Business, Marketing, Organisational Sustainability or Supply Chain Management.
Find out more at https://future-students.uq.edu.au or email our Business School Postgraduate Student Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exciting career opportunities are available with multilateral and bilateral aid agencies, aid contractors, government departments, non-government organisations and mining and other private sector companies.
- Development industry representatives have expressed the need for professionals who have both the contextual knowledge and the leadership skills to manage increasingly complex problems.
- The demand for development professionals in the private sector is also increasing.
- This innovative and multidisciplinary credential will set you apart from an increasingly competitive job market.
Meet your instructors from The University of Queensland (UQx)
Experts from UQx committed to teaching online learning
Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
At ODI we aim to inform global policy and practice leading to poverty reduction and sustainable development. We believe the world needs leaders who can draw on practical experience and applied research to tackle effectively the complex challenges of national and local development. With its unique blend of development and management theory and practice, the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters provides future leaders with the skills they need to act constructively in different development contexts and help to bring about lasting progress.
AECOM Pty Ltd.
I’m excited to see this innovative new credential; it fills an identified gap in the development education sphere and will positively contribute to the professionalisation of the industry. The high-quality suite of courses on offer are cutting-edge and highly relevant to current development challenges.
- MicroMasters programs are a series of graduate level courses from top universities designed to advance your career. They provide deep learning in a specific career field and are recognized by employers for their real job relevance. Students may apply to the university offering credit for the MicroMasters certificate and, if accepted, can pursue an accelerated and less expensive Master’s Degree.
- Gaining a Verified Certificate not only ensures that your achievement is recognised but places you in a special cohort of learners who are working towards obtaining the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program certificate. Students must hold verified certificates in all four courses in order to gain the MicroMasters certificate.
- The program is specifically designed for mid-career managers and advanced professionals working in development or related fields. It also suits people who desire to acquire the knowledge and skills to step up to leadership roles in this exciting and challenging discipline. Learners are expected to have experience in working on development programs or in a related field, or a strong interest in development.
- No. Successful completion of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program will support your application to an UQ on-campus Postgraduate Programs in Global Development. It will not guarantee entry. For more information on eligibility requirements, please visit https://future-students.uq.edu.au/leadership-global-development-postgraduate-programs
- Unfortunately, learners residing in one or more of the following countries or regions will not be able to register for this program: Iran, Cuba and the Crimea region of Ukraine. While edX has sought licenses from the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to offer our courses to learners in these countries and regions, the licenses we have received are not broad enough to allow us to offer this program in all locations. edX truly regrets that U.S. sanctions prevent us from offering all of our courses to everyone, no matter where they live.
- The four courses can be taken in any order, but we recommend beginning with LGDM101x: Leaders in Global Development. You may enrol in more than one course at the same time.