Choose your session:
Choose your session:
Industrial Policy in the 21st Century: The Challenge for Africa
About this courseSkip About this course
According to The World Bank, Africa’s working-age population is expected to increase by nearly 70% by 2035. Without industrialization to create jobs, it will be difficult to achieve sustainable development. While manufacturing led to rapid industrialization in East Asian countries, there is doubt that it can have the same effect in Africa. The question is, if not through manufacturing, how can Africa promote economic growth?
In this course from the United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER), brought to you by the SDG Academy, you will hear from researcher John Page and other leading voices in development economics about the range of activities known “industries without smokestacks,” and learn how industrial policy that promotes the growth of these industries presents a win-win scenario for economic development in Africa.
This course is for:
- Policy professionals who want to understand how industrial policy can create win-win strategies for growth and development
- Development practitioners seeking insight into how to address the need for industrialization in Africa
- Advanced undergraduates and graduate students interested in economics, development, industrialization, and other key concepts related to Africa’s development
At a glance
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Why manufacturing might not be the best model for African industrialization
- How “industries without smokestacks” provide a promising alternative
- What key drivers of industrialization can support traditional and new industries in Africa
- How industrial policy can support development in Africa
Module 1: Industry as a driver of structural change
Chapter 1: Is industry special?
Chapter 2: Can we broaden the options?
Chapter 3: Introducing “industries without smokestacks”
Chapter 4: Win-win policies
Chapter 5: An agenda for aid
Mini-documentary: How to provide jobs & transform livelihoods
Module 2: The recipe for industrial growth
Chapter 1: Drivers of industry: exports and the basics
Chapter 2: Drivers of industry: firm capabilities
Chapter 3: Drivers of industry: agglomerations
Chapter 4: Lessons from East Africa
Chapter 5: Is manufacturing the answer? Expert views
- Manufacturing is still the answer - Justin Lin
- Manufacturing might not be the answer - Joseph Stiglitz
Chapter 6: Industry case studies
- Light manufacturing
Module 3: Avoiding the resource curse
Chapter 1: Natural resources: opportunities and risks
Chapter 2: Natural resources: investing to invest
Chapter 3: Lessons from Viet Nam, Tanzania and Senegal
- Lessons from Viet Nam
- Lessons from Tanzania
- Lessons from Senegal
Activity: What the data shows
Module 4: Industrial policies for Africa
Chapter 1: Industrial policy: what, why, how?
Chapter 2: Industrial policy in Africa
Chapter 3: The challenge for Africa
Chapter 4: How to avoid capture of politicians?
Chapter 5: Lessons from Ethiopia