Choose your session:
Choose your session:
Django Application Development with SQL and Databases
About this courseSkip About this course
Please Note: Learners who successfully complete this IBM course can earn a skill badge — a detailed, verifiable and digital credential that profiles the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired in this course. Enroll to learn more, complete the course and claim your badge!
The essential building blocks of application development include accessing, processing, and presenting data. With vast amounts of data stored in various databases, on the cloud or on-premises, developers will use a language like SQL.
This course introduces you to the basics of SQL, a simple and powerful programming language for querying and managing data, and the fundamentals of cloud databases. You will discover Object-Relational Mapping (ORM), and how to use Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) languages to work with databases.
You will be introduced to Django, a fast and simple open source web framework used by developers to simplify their work. You will learn how Django models, views and templates work together to present data on a website and will use Django’s powerful admin site functionality to manage site content. And you will discover Bootstrap, a free and open-source web front-end framework.
As a final project, you will gain hands-on practical experience developing and deploying a full-stack Django web application on the cloud.
At a glance
- Institution: IBM
- Subject: Computer Science
- Level: Intermediate
HTML & CSS
- Associated programs:
- MicroBachelors Program in Full Stack Application Development
- Professional Certificate in Full Stack Developer
- Language: English
- Video Transcript: English
- Associated skills: Web Application Frameworks, Object-Relational Mapping, Django (Web Framework), SQL (Programming Language), Full Stack Development, Object-Oriented Programming (OOP), Front End (Software Engineering), Bootstrap (Front-End Framework), Application Development, Templates
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
•Describe a database and how to model data.
•Compose SQL queries to insert, select, update, and delete data in a database.
•Understand Object Relational Model (ORM).
•Integrate Bootstrap into your Django template and build interactive web pages.
•Employ Django to develop database-powered applications.
•Create and deploy your Django app on the cloud.
Module 1: Introduction to Databases
- Introduction to Databases and Database Management Systems
- Relational Databases
- Relational Data Concepts
- Hands-on Lab: Entity-Relationship Data Modeling
- SELECT Statement
- Hands-on Lab: Simple SELECT Statements
- COUNT, DISTINCT, LIMIT
- INSERT Statement
- UPDATE and DELETE Statements
- Hands-on Lab: INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE
- Basic SQL Statements Summary
Module 2: ORM: Bridging the Gap between the Real World and Relational Model
- Object-Relational Mapping (ORM)
- Django Model
- Hands-on Lab: Create a Django project in Theia
- Optional Lab: Create a Standalone Django ORM Project Template
- Django CRUD
- Hands-on Lab:CRUD on Django Model Objects
- Related Objects
- Hands-on Lab: Query Spanning Relationships
Module 3: Full-stack Django Development
- Django Model-View-Template pattern
- Quiz: MVC and Django MVT pattern
- Create a Django app
- Hands-on Lab: Create your first Django App
- Django Admin Site
- Hands-on Lab: Django Admin
- Django Views
- Django Templates
- Hands-on Lab: Views and Templates
Module 4: Consolidate and Deploy Your Django App
- Class-based and Generic Class Views
- Hands-on Lab: Class-based and Generic Views
- Django Authentication System
- Hands-on Lab: User Signup and Signin
- Bootstrap integration
- Hands-on Lab: Bootstrap Integration
- Manage Static Files
- Deploy your Django App on IBM Cloud
- Hands-on Lab: Deploy your Django app on IBM Cloud Foundry
Final Exam and Project: Enhance Online Course App with New Features ****