About this courseSkip About this course
Aquaponic technology continues to attracts a lot of attention around the globe, especially in the context of urban farming. But how exactly does an aquaponic system work and more important what knowledge do I need to successfully run an aquaponic system? In this course you will obtain answers to these questions. The curriculum will give you an understanding of central topics in the field of aquaponics. Aquaponics is a circulation technology based on a broad knowledge base: from water chemistry, fish and plant physiology, to engineering and microbiology. It can thus serve as a learning model for inter- and transdisciplinary thinking and acting.
What you'll learnSkip What you'll learn
- Understand the basic technology principle behind aquaponics, assess the advantages and disadvantages of aquaponic systems and get a vision of potential applications in terms of Urban Agriculture and Urban Farming.
- Get familiar with basic concepts of fish welfare and fish nutrition, especially in terms of practical aspects related to fish feeds and feeding schedules.
- Understand the principles of fish cultivation in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS), its needed technical components and the important role of water treatment and monitoring.
- Understand basic plant anatomy, physiology, and growing requirements. Be able to calculate the nutrient water balance and the required amounts of nutrient supplementation.
- Understand the basic principles of hydroponics and its different cultivation systems. Become familiar with plan varieties suitable for aquaponic systems, learn about the key factors of integrated pest control and how to monitor plants.
- Know how to assemble the basic components of an aquaponic system, and understand the importance of water flow from one component to another. Be able to plan and design an aquaponic system yourself.
Meet your instructors
Pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills you gain$99 USD
Official and Verified
Receive an instructor-signed certificate with the institution's logo to verify your achievement and increase your job prospects
Add the certificate to your CV or resume, or post it directly on LinkedIn
Give yourself an additional incentive to complete the course
Support our Mission
edX, a non-profit, relies on verified certificates to help fund free education for everyone globally